May 11, 2012

Underneath The Mango Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w08uQ8RPHzg

Some men seem to feel, within a short time after we meet, that I am the woman they want to be with for the rest of their lives. I have been thinking why I get marriage proposals more often than I would like to admit normal. And I think I've found some possible reasons.

One theory is purely statistical. I surround myself with like-minded people – men who are looking for a serious relationship. When I meet a man who is not ready, I just don't go out with him. But of course we can still hang out if he doesn't think I am too boring. So in the end all the men I agree to go out with are after the same thing as me - commitment. That's why they propose quickly.

Another theory is called “eating the mango when it’s ripe.” Many years ago, I was shopping in the supermarket one day when a middle-aged Japanese man came over and picked up something from one of my shirtsleeves. It was a sticker that happened to get stuck on me when I was buying mangos earlier. He had this most peculiar grin when he handed me that sticker. It said, "I am ripe and ready to be eaten."

Who knows, perhaps I still have that sticker on me somewhere, but only invisible to me!