Aug 1, 2011

Sentimental Journey


When you travel, do you listen to your music collection?

One of my master theses is on the effects of using familiar tunes in TV commercials. But like all the research papers, there is no real conclusion in my thesis, although I do believe familiar tunes relax and comfort us, like a safety blanket, especially when we are in a new environment, such as traveling.

And that's why I never listen to my own music collection when I travel. I also refuse to eat Japanese food or watch BBC/CNN news, because it reminds me too much of home.

I love traveling! Every trip is an adventure. Why would I take the element of excitement out of it by doing something I normally do at home anyway, except of course, showering and basic grooming?

Although I enjoy the unexpected and unknown aspects of travel, I always plan my trips down to the minute, because fantasizing about the journey is the best part of it!

So before each trip, I first start an extensive research on the internet, using all possible websites including reviews of quirky tourist spots, best local restaurants, and hottest clothing shops. And since I happen to know several languages, I usually check all sorts of websites written by people from different countries. It’s very interesting to see the differences in people’s preferences from different parts of the world.

But to be honest, I never follow my carefully-organized plan 100%. I only enjoy making the plans...(yeah, the geeky side of me!)

I always traveled alone, although I am hoping it will soon change. I used to love my solo trips, even though that usually meant I couldn’t go to some restaurants because I was alone. But it would be nice to have someone to enjoy the local cuisine and the sunset at the sea with, don’t you think?