Sep 16, 2011

Heard it Through The Grapevine


I just had my regular health check and saw my doctor's computer screen. And guess what, it was his Facebook page!

Most of the people I know are on FB now. I even got reconnected with some old friends through it. It's such a powerful tool, but also very scary.

We don't have privacy anymore. The theory about 1 out of 7 people would be your friend on FB without you knowing is not just an urban myth. So theoretically speaking, I could stumble upon my ex's comment about anything on FB anytime, for instance, my friend's new profile photo. God bless his soul!

Some irritating friends constantly update their status, announcing to the whole world what they are doing/eating/watching, where they are, who they are with, etc. But the worst friends are those who do it when they are actually with you!

I know they are hopelessly addicted to FB, so I forgive them. But sometimes I just want to shout at them, 'Are you that lonely? Even when you are not alone?' Do you have to feel connected with the world or the reality by leaving some trace in public and proving your existence all the time? 

And we also read it. Well, it's human nature to gossip. We all have the need. But  how about a nice, old-fashioned chat over a beer with your friends? When did we start to connect with our friends remotely? Isn't it funny that we share our innermost thoughts through Facebook, instead of talking face to face like the good old time?