Sep 1, 2011

MInd Your Business


I have never liked Mickey Mouse and the gang, even when I was also cute and little myself. Sorry, Mickey, nothing personal, it's just you are not my type!

Of course I understand why people consider those cartoon characters adorable. But I have a hard time comprehending the concept of adults here in Japan carrying a Hello Kitty key chain around without blushing.

It would take a lot of courage to do that in the States if you ever feel the need to, even if it’s not just a fashion statement. But in Japan, a grandpa can walk around wearing a Snow White cap and totally feeling at ease.

It's probably a very good thing for the national mental health. But sometimes I feel the whole country is a big Disneyland.

Most people here are living in Never Never Land. They grow up reading manga and worship Ultraman. And now they go to maid cafe and they enjoy cosplay. In their fantasy, everyone lives happily ever after.

I believe Tokyo Disneyland has the longest waiting time among all the Disneylands in the world, although waiting in the line is the second most popular pastime in Japan, next to shopping.

You can see Disney Stores everywhere in Tokyo, for the people who suddenly have an uncontrollable urge to acquire another cute Winnie the Pooh mouse pad or Donald Duck mug.

In my opinion, Disney is definitely a much better way to escape from the daily stress, compared with karaoke, pachinko, drinking, love hotel, etc? Well, obviously anything is better than going insane politely and quietly.

And really, it’s none of my business if someone can never grow out of the KAWAII~~~ stage.