Nov 19, 2011

She Is Funny That Way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkaC8fO0hQ

Please contact me if you often find little kids making eyes or faces at you in the train or cafe. Seriously, I would like to find out what we have in common, sort of a social study. I really want to know how kids single us out. Do they instinctively know we are kids inside too? How do they find our darkest secret?

Honestly, I swear I never give them any encouragement. Living in a big city has all taught us to avoid any eye contact with strangers and stay invisible. But it happened again yesterday. I was sitting in the train minding my own business when I suddenly noticed a little boy with this huge cheeky smile playing peek-a-boo with me in his baby stroller.

Of course I had to smile back, although I really had to restrain myself from playing peek-a-boo back. So we just kept grinning at each other the whole time while sharing the train ride. Oh we had a lot of fun, as much as allowed in a crowded Yamanote train anyway.

But how did he know I would be game? How? And this kind of thing happens to me about once or twice a month.

For those of you who have never met me, I can assure you that I appear 100% human-like. I don’t go out wearing a big red nose either. Only sometimes at home really.

And trust me, I am not saying this to convince anyone of anything. Being regarded as a willing toy by kids (or men for that matter) is nothing to be proud of, as far as I am concerned. I am just genuinely bewildered.

So again please contact me if you have the same problem, and perhaps together we can find a way to help each other. Let's try harder to look normal.